In Cooperative Education you’ll find that it is a learning method which formally integrates academic study with work experience in a cooperating employer organization. This “hands-on” exposure affords the student opportunity to develop skills in the application of theory to practical work experience and to develop attitudes conducive to effective interpersonal relationships. It is a great opportunity for the student to meet and network with business personnel and entrepreneurs. The CO-OP work term is approximately 16-weeks duration, beginning 01 May, between the first and second year of the program. The student will receive a CO-OP DIPLOMA indicating they have had approximately 4 months of work experience in an industry related to the program.
The student, employer and college are linked to form a successful partnership. Cooperative Education is a system that works in accordance to the following criteria:
- Each work situation is developed and/or approved by the College as a suitable learning situation.
- The student is engaged in productive work (rather than merely observing).
- The student is paid competitive wages during the work term depending on capabilities and level of responsibility.
- The student’s progress on the job is monitored by the College.
- The student’s performance on the job is assessed by the employer and reported to the College.
- Satisfactory completion of Co-op Work Terms is a condition of graduation from the program.